Friday 24 June 2011

p(001)e: The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall

Day one is, for the most part, wordless.

I pulled a couple of quotes from the short story and drew them using a fine permanent marker and tinted with black coffee. The pot of coffee that I brewed while reading today's story was very strong, to the point where a mug filled one-third with milk and two-thirds coffee was still of a dark almondy hue.

DSC07728.JPG

The drawings (or perhaps "scribbles" would be more in tune with what they are) depict a vehicle, which, mark my words, I am fully aware is not what the story was describing. I just thought a car of the automobile sort was easier for my (low) skill level to draw. If you're at all bothered by that, I ask that you do not argue with me, because I've now given you my reasoning for why the drawings look as they do.

DSC07941.JPG

DSC07956.JPG

"I also secured in the car a pair of pigeons and a cat." (p. 7)

DSC07959.JPG

DSC07973.JPG

"The balloon at first collapsed, then furiously expanded, then whirred round and round with sickening velocity, and finally, reeling and staggering like a drunked man, hurled me over the rim of the car, and left me dangling, at a terrific height, with my head downward and my face outward, by a piece of slender cord about three feet in length, which hung accidentally through a crevice near the bottom of the wickerwork, and in which, as I fell, my left foot became most providentially entangled." (p. 8)

DSC07988.JPG

DSC07967.JPG

DSC07964.JPG

DSC07756.JPG
My little helper

See you tomorrow.
JM

No comments:

Post a Comment